What's The Difference Between Housewife and Oxford Pillowcases?

There are two main types of pillowcases. They both have seemingly unusual names; the housewife pillowcase and the oxford pillowcase.

Here we’ll explain which is which so you can impress your friends with your pillowcase prowess.

The Housewife Pillowcase

The housewife pillowcase is your run of the mill common or garden pillowcase. It has a neatly stitched edge and an internalised flap at the opening where the pillow is inserted to keep it in place and to keep it covered. Exactly like our linen pillowcases.

The Oxford Pillowcase

The Oxford pillowcase by contrast has a fabric border around the edge of the pillowcase, typically a couple of inches wide. It is definitely the lesser spotted of the pillowcase varieties, and has a fancy or more formal aesthetic. Its name is derived from the material it was originally made from, Oxford cloth.  Oxford shirts, which are also still around today, are so called for the same reason.